Saturday, June 5, 2010

Let's Dish - 6/4

Hey everyone. I'm typing this from a hotel room while we are out of town in our new town looking for a house! Can you believe our hotel room does not have a bathtub? I thought all national chains had a tub in the room! I had to just wipe my toddler down with a warm rag last night because, as he reminded us a bazillion times, "water willl get up my nose in dat shower!" whatever. You just haven't lived until you've traveled with small children.

Speaking of small children, let's dish about baby food. My youngest is a little over 6 months old and we're full force into the real food stage. I would love if ya'll would go here and read this article. What do you think? Have you tried this yourself?

Do you have any amazing 'make your own home baby food' tips for me and everyone reading? When my first was little target had a gerber coupon with unlimited prints that made 2 jars of food free with each coupon. I got enough to fill 3 rubbermaids while I was prego (since they didnt expire for 2 years after I bought them) and never had to worry about buying or making baby food. This time around, not so much. I plan on making most of our baby food but have had a few fails so far. My big success? Blueberry Applesauce!
Dish it up with us today and don't forget to enter the cookbook giveaway :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't do the homemade food with Mikayla. My friend Samantha makes it for he daughter Emma, not all of her food but a good amount. She just uses her processor and blender. They do have that little machine that you can buy. http://www.babycookstore.com/

That is the site for it, but I am sure if you hunted around you could find it cheaper. They also have a book.


Uh no bathtub?! Wow, Mikayla can't stand the shower either, but she's 6 and well mommy would make her shower lol. I know mean mommy.

:) (Update on the whole move thing?!)

Ashley said...

Well, I just say try a bunch of different things and Luke will let you know what is a success. As far as the BLW, I like introducing table foods as early as the baby is ready but I don't think you should skip purees. I like a combination. I started introducing Annabelle to table foods pretty early and she caught on fast. I'm kind of surprised Luke isn't eating steak and potatoes yet :)

Laura said...

I can only speak to our experiences, but Abs took her time with foods. We didn't introduce purees/solid food at all until 6 months. We splurged on the babycook and I love it - we still use it. It's pricey though, and you can get the same results using a food processor I'm sure (although, for anyone who does want one - you can order it from Bed, Bath, & Beyond and use their 20% off coupons- at least we did a year ago)

We made nearly all of Abs' food for the first several months. I loved doing it. Our favorite is sweet potatoes. I found that steaming/pureeing brown rice/celery/chicken and mixing it with yogurt was one of Abby's favorites. We've recently been experimenting with beets - and mixing them with potatoes to make a pretty purple mix full of vitamin goodness. We also did beef/potatoes/tomatoes to make a kind of baby meatloaf puree.

There are, of course, tons of recipes out there. I think Luke sounds as if he's light years ahead of where Abs was at that age.