Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Giving

I can not tell y'all how many times I have heard or read, "What in the world do you need 10 sticks of deodorant for?"  Stockpiling doesn't always make sense to people- it didn't make sense to me at first either. 

A big reason to stockpile is that it saves families a lot of money in the long run.  I understand, to an extent, the tendency to buy what is needed at the time and then buy a replacement when that item runs out. The problem facing those of us wanting and needing to save money is that the thing is rarely on sale when we need it. 

The blessing of building a stockpile is that it allows us to take advantage of sales at their peak so that when you do run out of the item in your cabinet, you can just shop in your own "store".  It's almost like buying peace of mind - going to a storage closet instead of having to physically go to the store, hope that there is a coupon, and pray that it fits into your budget.  It's buying for tomorrow instead of today.  For example, If you get 10 toothbrushes for free, chances are another sale will come along before you run out of them.
Want to know another great reason to stockpile?  To give to others. There are so many items we can get for free almost every week through couponing.  Naturally, these items may not meet our families needs but I guarantee you they meet somebody else's.  Maybe you don't allow processed food in your house, but  how wonderful does a can of spaghettios taste to a child in need? 

We have a very strict budget in our house with very little wiggle room outside our budgetary guidelines for monetary giving.  Thanks to stockpiling and using coupons we don't have to have extra room in our budget, just some extra coupons.

This past week I received an email about two teenagers in need of some basic hygiene supplies.  Those items can be so expensive and so, naturally, they could not afford them right now.  I have been couponing and playing the drugstore game for about 2 years now and we have a very adequate stockpile going.  I was so thankful for that stockpile when I got this email.  I often joke that I get a coupon high when I save a ton of money at the store, but truthfully, I do.  It's a rush and I really enjoy the experience, but it has nothing on the feeling you get when you can use those resources to bless someone else.

I've actually been on both ends of the deal - when I was 37 weeks pregnant with our first child, my husband lost his job and did not get a new full time job until 9 months later! It was a very stressful time, but thanks to the genorosity of family, friends, and our church we were able to make it through.  I don't know where we would have been without the love and grace of those willing to be givers.

Maybe you don't need 10 sticks of deodorant, but someone does.

Thanks to Amber over at Southern Illinois Money Savers for giving me the opportunity to do this post :)

4 comments:

hannah said...

Amen. You're so good!!

Anonymous said...

That is exactly to the point how I feel. :) I am reposting this on my blog, so all 3-4 people can read it.

Unknown said...

Yes! I totally agree. Thanks to your guidance and couponing at Kroger several children in the Lester Street area of Memphis are receiving tons of snacks next week. For 19cents a box we were able to buy so many items and still have money left in our own food budget. I just packed a big box of food for my mom's housekeeper this morning, perhaps enough to keep her fed for a week. Ive been in such awe of how God has allowed us to use our food budget to help others this month. It was like the more we gave the more we saved and God just kept providing. All I could keep saying when the totals would come and the items in the pantry were piling ups was "loaves and fishes, loaves and fishes". Thank you for helping to give us the ability to do this for others.

Anonymous said...

My husband & I are in the ministry, and so many times in our church we see families who are in need. We live on on a tight budget for a family of 5. There have been many times that I have wanted to help families, but could not. Now that I use coupons I have a good size stockpile and can help people when I here of someone in need. It is such a blessing to be able to help people, all the while knowing your family is not suffering because of it.