Friday, September 10, 2010

BBQ Chicken Sandwiches with Cole Slaw Mayo

Yesterday I had Grilled Chicken on the menu but it was raining and I don't grill in the rain. So, plan b was needed. I decided to turn my marinating chicken into bbq sandwiches since we had some buns leftover from hamburgers on monday. It was a huge success! These are so easy and so delicious! Best part? They are so much lower fat than traditional bbq. I did not have any cabbage or cole slaw mix so I decided to get the flavor of the cole slaw in the mayo spread and the crunch from some romaine lettuce. The end result was perfection.

Ingredients
Sandwich
2-3 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast
1 cup BBQ sauce (I used Original Sweet Baby Rays)
1/2 teaspoon smoky mesquite seasoning (I used Weber Grill)
buns
lettuce, cut into strips

Cole Slaw Mayo
1/3 cup light mayo
1/2 teaspoon mustard (I used spicy brown)
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon vinegar
1/2 teaspoon celery salt or 1 tablespoon very finely chopped celery
salt and pepper to taste

Combine all mayo ingredients, set aside.
In a pot on the stove or in the crockpot, combine chicken, sauce and seasoning. Simmer 30 minutes and shred chicken, mix into sauce. Feel free to add more sauce if needed. Toast buns in the oven for a few minutes (face up on broil or face down on 400) while chicken is cooking. Layer shredded bbq chicken, lettuce and cole slaw mayo on buns. Serve with your choice of sides. Enjoy!

No comments: