Monday, September 20, 2010

Chicken and Shrimp Scampi

I love shrimp but my family does not - hence the inclusion of chicken in this dish. If you want, you can do either/or, or you can do both as I did. I adapted this from Tyler Florence's Shrimp Scampi with Linguini. I did not have Linguini so I used Whole Grain Penne - it worked great. Most of my changes are simply because I did not have the ingredients and used common substitutions others were because I thought 4 Tbs butter and Oil were a bit much. Feel free to make this however fits your family best. This was a really fabulous dish and was on the table in no time. A small warning - if you do not love garlic, this is not the dish for you :)

Ingredients
2 Chicken Breast, cut into strips
20 shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 tablespoons butter (I used Smart Balance)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup chicken broth/stock
1 lemon, juiced
1/4 onion, minced
3 cloves garlic
1/4 cup half/half or cream (optional)
1/4 cup parsley leaves, chopped
red pepper flakes (offer these to individual bowls)
1 box pasta, boiled

In a pot, boil pasta in salted water, set aside, reserving 1 cup pasta water. In a large pan heat garlic and olive oil over medium heat. Saute onion and garlic for about 5 minutes and add chicken. Saute until cooked through. Add shrimp, cook about 2 minutes longer. Add chicken stock and lemon juice, bring to a boil. Add 1 cup reserved pasta water, cream (if desired), parsley and pasta. Toss to coat. Serve with fresh parmesan or Kraft's 5 Cheese Italian blend. As always, any pasta is better the next day. Enjoy!

2 comments:

KirstinMarie said...

This sounds amazing. I love shrimp too!!! I like your substitutions.

alicia rasmussen said...

This sounds so yummy. And similar to another shared today. I'll have to compare the recipes. Can't wait to try it. Thanks for sharing.