Thursday, January 20, 2011

Healthyfied "Fried" Chicken Salad

I am a big salad person. I always have been. I can honestly say that going to a restaurant, I would rather order a salad than anything else! I've always been a grilled chicken salad girl (bc I don't really like the flavor of fried chicken) but thought I'd give a healthier version of the classic fried chicken salad a try. This was soooo good. I encourage you to try one! You can add whatever raw veggies you like, anything goes. Of course, you can use any dressing you like but I think a fried chicken salad just begs for ranch dressing!

Ingredients
2 Chicken Breast, cut in half making 4 thin
1 egg white
1 tsp dijon mustard
1 tablespoon milk
2 cups panko bread crumbs
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp black pepper

Salad
4 cups baby spinach
1 head romaine, chopped
1 tomato, diced
1/2 cucumber, diced
1 large stalk celery, diced
1 bell pepper, diced
1-2 boiled eggs
1/3 cup shredded 2% cheese (I used feta, yum!)
1/4 cup walnuts
1/2 cup croutons
1/3 cup craisins (optional)
lite ranch dressing

Mix egg white, dijon and milk in a bowl, set aside. Mix panko, garlic and pepper in a bowl and set next to the egg mixture bowl. First dip chicken in egg mixture and then dip into bread crumb mixture, coating completely. Set on baking pan and spray the chicken with a non-stick spray (I have an olive oil one). Bake for 20-30 minutes on 375 or until just cooked through. Allow to cool and slice. In a large bowl, combine all salad ingredients except dressing, toss well. Put a large amount of salad mixture onto a plate and top with diced chicken and serve with dressing. Enjoy!

No comments: