Monday, January 17, 2011

Menu Inspiration Monday: Baked Cabbage

One of my personal family goals for 2011 is to offer a wider variety of vegetables to my family. We are a veggie loving family but usually eat the same ones: green beans, broccoli, peas, squash and salads. I hope to broaden our horizons and this recipe is sooo good. I know what you are thinking: Cabbage? Cabbage is an excellent source of manganese, calcium, potassium, iron, phosphorous, magnesium,  fiber, folate and omega-3 fatty acids. Further, sodium, zinc and copper are found in good amounts in cabbage. Cabbage is also an excellent source of vitamin C thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin k, folate, vitamin A and protein.
One huge plus is that cabbage only has about 200 calories per head! I encourage you to try this and promise making it this way is absolutely delicious. My mother in law made this on one of our visits and I found myself just going back for more! If you don't have Cavendar's seasoning you could use salt, pepper, garlic powder and a little celery salt...or any seasoning that you love!

Baked Cabbage
Ingredients
1/2 to 1 head cabbage
olive oil
cavendars seasoning to taste

Pre-heat ove to 375. Cut cabbage in have and remove core at the bottom of the cabbage by cutting a wedge out of it
Slice the cabbage into discs and then into quarters, rinse and place in a well sprayed 9x13 inch pan. Drizzle cabbage with olive oil and season liberally with seasoning.
Cover with foil and bake for 30-45 minutes or until desired consistency (I like mine just cooked through and not mushy) Serve as a great, healthy side dish - enjoy!

What wonderful dishes do you have to inspire us today? Link them up here:




No comments: