Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Chocolate Zucchini Pound Cake

I was in the mood for a chocolate cake yesterday and as I stared longingly into my cabinets I noticed a zucchini on the counter, not used from dinner the night before. Since it is almost officially squash season, I figured I better get some new recipes together. One thought led to another and after a few internet searches and a lot of alterations I came up with this recipe. Most of the recipes called for cinnamon and walnuts - I didn't want those so I left them out. My version is a fabulous chocolate pound cake. Very moist and while the texture is a little dense, it fits the cake well. I encourage you to make one and enjoy every last crumb in the process.

Ingredients
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 stick butter (I used smart balance)
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
2 tsp vanilla 
2 cups shredded zucchini, or 1 large shredded (do NOT drain)
3/4 cup buttermilk OR 1/2 cup regular milk


Glaze (mix well with mixer)
2 cups powdered sugar
4 tablespoons milk
1 tsp vanilla

Combine flour through salt, set aside. In a large mixing bowl cream the sugar and butter until fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla until mixed through. Add dry mixture, alternating with milk. Once mixed through, by hand stir in zucchini shreds. Batter will be thick, no worries. Pour into a very well greased bundt pan and bake 45-55 minutes or until a knife pulls clean. Once cooked, remove from pan and while still hot drizzle with glaze. Slice and enjoy!

6 comments:

Amanda said...

If you put a vegetable in cake, it makes it fat free...right?

thebigredpot said...

Exactly!

Christina said...

I've always wanted to try a baked good with zucchini. This looks perfect!

Allison @ Alli 'n Son said...

You had me at chocolate! I'm addicted to it.

I'd like to invite you to share this recipe on my linky, Sweet Tooth Friday. I hope to see you there. http://alli-n-son.com/2011/04/14/chocolate-birds-nests/

Miz Helen said...

Hi Bethany,
It is so good to see you here today. Your Chocolate Zucchini Pound Cake looks amazing. I can almost taste it and I will be very soon, can't wait to try it. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you next week!

Joyinmykitchen said...

Looks like a delightful slice of cake! We love my grandmother's chocolate zucchini cake, so I'm sure this one is yummy too!