Thursday, December 9, 2010

Creamy Potato Soup

I love Potato Soup - it's probably my absolute favorite thing to order when eating at Panera or McAlisters. I know a lot of people who make great potato soup but I could never make mine to taste like theirs, even when I had the recipe! I finally decided to just trial and error my own and came up with something that our family absolutely looooves! It's really simple - but aren't all the best things in life simple?

Ingredients
8 medium to large russet potatoes, peeled, diced and divided
3 cans chicken broth 
1 1/2 cups milk, cream or half/half (you could also use a can of evaporated milk)
6 pieces of bacon, cooked and crumbled
16 oz sour cream
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
salt to taste (depends on your chicken broth saltiness)
green onions, diced
shredded cheese

In a large soup pot or dutch oven boil 6 diced potatoes in chicken broth. Meanwhile, boil the other two potatoes in water in a different pot. Once the potatoes in the water (the 2 potatoes) are tender (about 10 minutes), drain and cream with 1/3 cup milk just like you would mashed potatoes. Stir creamed potatoes into the pot with potatoes and chicken stock. Throw in a handful of bacon bits and stir in pepper, sour cream and milk. Remove from heat and serve with cheese, additional bacon bits and green onions.

No comments: