Monday, March 14, 2011

Japan Earthquake and Tsumani Relief: How You Can Help

I have been thinking and praying ever since the Japan Quake happened as to how we can help do something. Here's what you and I can do:

PrayAs I mentioned over on my prayer request blog, the biggest thing we can do for everyone there is to pray for them. God is bigger than disaster and He can provide everything those people need including comfort and peace - things that are absolutely priceless.

Beyond praying, we can give. Since my husband lost his job, we have more than been taken care of financially by those around us who love us and who have done so in the name of Jesus. It is a powerful work to be part of something like that - something bigger than ourselves. Most of us have at least $1 we can spare for those in need - maybe that means letting go of a coke or coffee one time this next week. I know we can do it. Prayerfully consider what you can do and here are a few places to consider giving:

Heart to Heart International - a faith based organization where 98% of what you give goes to relief efforts

Convoy to Hope - a faith based organization where 92% of donations go directly to relief and outreach efforts.


Samaritan's Purse -  a faith based ministry helping those in need in Japan through aid and the gospel of Jesus Christ


American Red Cross - You can make a donation on-line or text REDCROSS to 90999 and instantly donate $10 to the Japanese relief efforts.



Salvation Army - You can also donate on-line or text JAPAN or QUAKE to 80888 and make an instant donation.

For every comment left on this post, our family will donate $1 to Samaritan's Purse to aid the relief efforts up to $100.

"In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.” Acts 20:35


31 comments:

Rick Bush said...

A moving video collage has been created here:
http://earthquakes.videohq.tv/2011/03/japan-aftermath-earthquake-aftermath-in.html

A link straight to the American Red Cross's appeal page is there.

Please donate generously to them. Don't listen to those with closed hearts.

Lydia said...

Thank you for giving!

Yessicascoupons said...

Many prayers for all who are hurting and scared!

Robin said...

Thinking of Japan..

Msumption said...

Praying for families and their losses.

Barb said...

My thoughts and prayers go out to their families.

Margaret said...

What a great post, thanks Bethany! I just wanted to point out that I heard on the radio this moring (AFR) that 70% of the Japanese population professes no religious affiliation, and only 1% are Christian. So while they absolutely need our prayers for disater relief, maybe the conversion of souls would be a good prayer too!!

Erin said...

So blessed by your heart!

Emily said...

Thank you for doing this. I pray for those in Japan.

Lisa @ Cents To SAve said...

This is a great idea! I hope you get lots of comments!

Story3girl said...

Thank you for doing this. Your heart is so big.

Lauren McKnight said...

Thank you for encouraging me to be more giving!

Jbodenhofer said...

Thanks for giving~

Say Mmm said...

Great idea! Thanks for helping to make a difference.

Ariane Thompson said...

Thoughts and prayers are with the Japanese in their time of need. I admire their enduring spirit and cannot imagine what it would be like if this were to happen to us.

Cws1994 said...

I hope things quickly get on the mend in Japan!

Qui3James said...

I am a Christian. I go to Saint John Catholic Church on Sunday mornings. Our Church try to help by collecting money to feed the hungry, poor, and homeless. We pray for Japan during it's hard times with the earthquake, tsunami, and nuclear reactor meltdowns.
Come to Roman Catholic Church on Sundays. Perhaps we can help you in some way.

Isweartobob said...

Here.

Isweartobob said...

Are you still doing donations?

Isweartobob said...

I'll be on here commenting until there are 100.

Isweartobob said...

Here's one more comment for Japan.

Isweartobob said...

I hope this can make a difference.

Isweartobob said...

I'll try to be on here everyday.

Isweartobob said...

I'll do at least five comments each day.

Isweartobob said...

Okay, here's another comment for Japan.

Isweartobob said...

Here's another comment.

Isweartobob said...

Thank you for making these donations.

Guest said...

At least I hope you're still making them.

Guest said...

If not, this is kindof a waste of time.

Guest said...

However, if you still are, it's worth it.

Bethany said...

I love your heart and sweet diligence for these people - what a blessing that is to me just to witness! I made the full donation regardless of the comments. I figured if I had the ability to do it then I should just go ahead and do it! I'd love to have you back as a reader, but I just wanted you to know you didn't have to for this cause :) Thanks again and I hope you are blessed!